Barnet, Will, b. 1911 d. 2012
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 11.1 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of painter, printmaker, and educator Will Barnet measure 11.1 linear feet and date from 1938 to 2001. Found within the papers are biographical material, including numerous recorded interviews of Barnet; personal and professional correspondence; writings and lectures, many of which exist only as audio and video recordings; financial records; printed material, including audio and video documentaries; artwork; and photographs of Barnet, his family and friends, and his work.
Biographical/Historical Note: Will Barnet (1911-2012) was a painter, printmaker, and educator who lived and worked in New York City.
Will Barnet donated his papers in several increments between 1968-2001.
Funding for the preservation and transfer of motion picture film provided by the Smithsonian Women's Committee.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Portions of the papers were microfilmed on reels N68-35, N69-46, and 98. The microfilm is available for interlibrary loan but researchers are advised that the microfilm does not reflect the current order of the papers and is incomplete. One 8mm motion picture film of a 1966 exhibition at Hirschl and Adler (Series 1) was transferred onto video recordings (VHS and digital Betacam), which are available for research access at the Archives of American Art's Washington D.C. office. The original reel is not available for playback due to fragility.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information. Use of archival audiovisual recordings with no duplicate access copy requires advance notice.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Will Barnet, 1964 Jan. 20-1964 Feb. 17
- Oral history interview with Will Barnet, 1968 Jan. 15
- Oral history interview with Will Barnet, 1993 Apr. 9
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Barnet, Will
Related MaterialsAlso found in the Archives are papers that were lent for microfilming (reels N68-22, N69-126, and N70-48.) Most but not all of this material was included in subsequent donations, except for scattered newsclippings and exhibition catalogs. The microfilm is not described in the container listing of this finding aid.
The Archives of American Art holds three oral history interviews with Will Barnet, one conducted by Richard Baker, January 20, 1964, one by Paul Cummings, January 15, 1968, and another by Stephen Polcari on April 9, 1993. Also found are two additional related collections, a transcript of an interview by Louis Newman with Molly Barnes and Will Barnet, and Peter Barnet's research material on Will Barnet. Syracuse University holds additional papers of Will Barnet.