Peat, Wilbur David, b. 1898 d. 1966
Museum director, Author
Active in Indianapolis, Ind.
Collection size: 1.0 linear ft. (on 2 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; financial reports; project reports and bulletins of the Public Works of Art Project; correspondence with William Milliken, Director of Region 9 of the PWAP, relating to the administration of PWAP and Treasury Relief Art Project; applications; work reports and letters from aritsts about their projects, analyses of their work in questionnaire format; minutes; photographs; clippings; and miscellaneous papers relating to Treasury Department art projects in Indiana.
Biographical/Historical Note: Wilbur D. Peat (1898-1966) was the Divisional Manager of the Public Works of Art Project in Region 9, which included Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Kentucky. He was also the director of the John Herron Museum of Art in Indianapolis (later the Indianapolis Museum of Art), from 1929-1965.
Donated 1965 by Wilbur D. Peat.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel NDA 22 & NDA 23 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Wilbur D. Peat, 1964 June 25
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Peat, Wilbur David