Washington Society of Landscape Painters
Collection size: 1.0 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Records of the Washington Society of Landscape Painters including administrative records, 1934-1992, correspondence 1960-1993, printed material, 1929-2000, scrapbooks, 1929- ca.1976, photographs, 1967-1969 and a log book, April- July 1917. Consitution and by-laws, minutes, notices of meetings and activities, and membership lists. Correspondence concerns exhibitions, field trips, and membership. Printed matter includes W.S.L.P. exhibition announcements, catalogs, and reviews; clippings, exhibition announcements and catalogs of individual members; a club newsletter, articles about the group, and miscellaneous items. Scrapbooks include 3 volumes labeled "W.S.L.P. Archives," compiled by the club historian that contain clippings, exhibition announcements and catalogs, membership lists, form letters to members, meeting notices, photographs of exhibition venues and installations, works of art, annual banquets, and members on field trips, and a small number of letters and Christmas cards from members. Another scrapbook about members, compiled ca. 1975-1976, contains biographical notes, photographs of paintings, exhibition announcements, reviews, and catalogs. Miscellaneous records, 1969-1997, include histories, guest registers, notes, and lists. Photographs are of a club meeting and unidentified members painting outdoors. An illustrated, handwritten log book of the Ramblers account of painting activities with contributions from members Charles H. Seaton, Abraham John Schram, Benson Bond Moore, Robert G. Cornett, August H.O. Rolle, Edwin G. Cassedy, Herbert F. Clark, and M.C. Hoff.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art society; Washington, D.C. Organized in 1919 as one of the oldest art societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. From 1919-1985 it was known as the Landscape Club of Washington. The group had been meeting on a very informal basis for several years and was known as the Ramblers. For most of its existence, the organization was a recreational club for male landscape painters who planned group painting excursions and promoted the sale and exhibition of their work in the Washington, D.C. area. Women became eligible for membership in 1993.
Donated 1999 and 2004 by Washington Society of Landscape painters via former historian and archivist.