Midener, Walter, b. 1912 d. 1998
Sculptor, Arts administrator, Art teacher
Active in Detroit, Mich.
Collection size: 0.4 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Resume, correspondence, photographs, miscellany, and clippings.
REEL 880: Resume, ca. 104 letters, 2 photographs of Midener, 1945, (one with collector Edward M. M. Warburg), and miscellany. Correspondents include Nathan Cummings, Curt Valentin, Edward Warburg, and others.
REEL 103: Correspondence from the Buchholz Gallery, Barone Gallery and Little Gallery, arranging sales and exhibits of Midener's wood sculpture; from various Jewish organizations in New York and Cincinnati, commissioning Midener's work; collectors Edward Warburg and Jakob Goldschmidt, and personal friends, including sculptor William McVey and Max Ascoli, the last writing a letter of introduction. Clippings showing Midener's religious art, catalogs and occasional photographs are also included.
UNMICROFILMED: Correspondence, 1947-1978, relating to Midener's work at the Art School of the Society of Arts and Crafts; commissions; loans; and other mostly business matters.
Biographical/Historical Note: Sculptor, art instructor and art administrator, Detroit, Michigan. Born in Leignitz, Germany. Attended Kunst Akademie in Berlin, 1932-1936. Came to U.S. in 1938. Taught at Henry Street Settlement in New York, N.Y., Cleveland Institute of Art, and Art School of the Society of Arts and Crafts becoming president of the board of trustees in 1976. Won the Tiffany Fellowship for Sculpture, 1940.
Donated 1965 and 1974 by Walter Midener and in 1978 by his estate.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm roll 103 & 880 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Walter Midener, 1974 July 10-17
- Oral history interview with Walter Midener, 1981 Aug. 3