Peirce, Waldo, b. 1884 d. 1970
Active in Searsport, Me.
Collection size: 1.8 linear feet (partially microfilmed on 6 reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; scrapbooks; photographs and photo albums; art works; sketchbooks; catalogs; and clippings.
REELS 162-163: 181 letters received and 32 letters sent; a copy of a speech, 1939, by Elbert Thomas on the Jefferson Memorial; watercolors; catalogs; and clippings.
REEL 2025: Three pencil drawings and 25 watercolors of Civil Defense classes, Haverstraw, New York, 1942.
REEL 2329: Two scrapbooks, 1955-1963, containing illustrated postcards and letters with illustrated envelopes which Peirce sent to his son Jonathan, while Jonathan was in school, a photo and a clipping; illustrated postcards and letters with illustrated envelopes from Peirce to Jonathan; a photo album, 1915-1917, of Peirce and others in the American Ambulance Corps in Paris; and a 1958 photo of Peirce and a 1959 photo of Peirce with Ernest Hemingway.
REEL 3025: Five sketchbooks, ca. 1929-1940, containing ca. 500 watercolor, pen and ink, pencil, and charcoal sketches of his children, Mike, Bill, and Anna, his wife, Alzira, scenes at Castine, Maine, friends, and other subjects.and 4 photograph albums, 1903-1956, containing snapshots of Peirce, his family, friends Ernest Hemingway, Max Eastman, Rockwell Kent, and others, taken mainly in France, Castine and Searsport, Maine, Key West, Florida and Provincetown, Massachusetts.
REEL 3470: A self-portrait sketch, ca. 1950.
UNMICROFILMED: Six sketchbooks, ca. 1920-1944, containing pencil sketches and notes.
REEL 1817 AND SCANNED Five photographs of Waldo Peirce, previously microfilmed under Photos of Artists II, and subsequently scanned and returned to the Peirce papers.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, watercolorist; Searsport, Maine.
Material on reels 162-163 and 1817 lent for microfilming 1972-1973 by Ellen Peirce, Peirce's fourth wife and widow. She donated material on reel 2025 and sketchbooks on reel 3025, 1980-1983. Material on reel 2329 lent for microfilming 1981 by Jonathan W. Peirce, son of Ellen & Waldo Peirce; photographs on reel 3025 and unmicrofimed sketchbooks deposited 1978 by Michael Peirce, son of Alzira & Waldo Peirce; sketch on reel 3470 donated 1977 by John L. Jones.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 162-163, 2025, 2329, 3025 & 3470 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Unser Kent / by W. P. ; with a portrait of the author by Rockwell Kent, 1930
- Waldo Peirce letters, 1943
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Peirce, Waldo