Oakley, Violet, b. 1874 d. 1961
Painter, Muralist, Stained glass artist
Active in Philadelphia, Pa.
Collection size: 57.4 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of painter, stained glass artist, and muralist Violet Oakley measure 57.4 linear feet and date from 1841-1981. Found within the papers are biographical materials; personal and business correspondence; writings, including essays, lectures, and project drafts; diaries and journals; financial material; artwork; printed material, including scrapbooks; and photographs, 3 albums, 322 glass plate negatives, and 1600 film negatives of Oakley, her family and friends, and her work.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, muralist, and stained glass designer Violet Oakley (1874-1961) lived and worked in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was known for her Renaissance-revival style of art and the series of murals she completed for the Pennsylvania State Capitol.
The papers were donated in 1977 and 1984 by Oakley's longtime friend and companion, Edith Emerson. In 1988, two additional feel of materials were donated by the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, who had received the papers from Emerson's estate.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- The bulk of the correspondence in this collection is available on 35 mm microfilm reels 3716-3745 at the Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan. Researchers should note that the arrangement of the papers as described in this finding aid does not reflect the order of the collection on microfilm due to reprocessing.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Glass plate negatives are housed separately and closed to researchers. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Violet Oakley autograph and photograph, 1902
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Oakley, Violet
Related MaterialsAlso found among the holdings of the Archives of American Art are the Violet Oakley Memorial Foundation records and the Violet Oakley autograph and photograph. The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts holds the Violet Oakley Foundation Art Collection, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art holds the Violet Oakley Collection.
Originals of material loaned for microfilming, which consist of Violet Oakley's scrapbooks containing press clippings, correspondence, programs, invitations, reproductions of artwork, and ephemera dating from 1896 to 1962, as well as a family photograph album and photographs of artwork, were returned to Edith Emerson. Loaned material is still available on reels 1204, P12, 1187-1188, 1272, and 1194-1195 but is not included in the container listing of this finding aid.
Reel 1204 consists of two scrapbooks (circa 1896-1952) containing clippings from magazines of illustrations by Violet Oakley and her sister, Hester, and of Violet's murals for the State Capitol at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Reel P12 is of a scrapbook (1898-1936) containing a photograph of Oakely at her easel, clippings, and letters. Reels 1187-1188 consist of five scrapbooks (1920-1962) containing letters, clippings, exhibition announcements, catalogs, and awards. One of the scrapbooks is devoted to "The Holy Experiment", a limited edition publication by Oakley which commemorating William Penn, and which includes reproductions of Oakley's capitol murals in Harrisburg.
Reel 1272 consists of two albums (circa 1900-1949) containing photos of Oakley working on murals in her studio, as well as her works of art, including stained glass windows at the Church of All Angels, New York; murals at the Harrisburg State Capitol; preliminary drawings and site photographs of "Dante's Window"; the lunettes and window for the Yarnall House; murals and preliminary drawings for the Cuyahoga Court House; the mural and dedication ceremonies for the Vassar Alumnae House; and photos and printed mate