Violet Oakley Memorial Foundation
Collection size: 3.0 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Correspondence with artists, performers and other organizations, 1943-1984; financial records, including a membership dues account book, 1961-1972, bank statements, 1979-1985, invoices, 1973-1980, insurance forms, 1976-1983, tax records, 1965-1982, and grant records, 1971-1983; constitution and by-laws; transcripts of hearings concerning Cogslea; inventory lists, 1982-1986; documents concerning the sale of property and the transfer of material to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts; membership lists; attendance records, 1978-1981; lists of works by Violet Oakley; minutes and agenda from meetings, 1968-1984; and subject files containing letters and printed material concerning various museums, colleges, and galleries, including the Woodmere Art Gallery. Also included are brochures, 1910-1980; newsletters; 2 exhibition catalogs; and 21 slides of Violet Oakley's work.
Biographical/Historical Note: Organized in 1962 to commemorate the life and work of mural painter Violet Oakley. Housed in Oakley's studio at Cogslea. Aim was to encourage the arts, literature, and international understanding through the presentation of lectures, exhibitions and conferences. The original officers were Edith Emerson (president), Mrs. Lloyd Van Sciver (vice-president), Theodore A. Ulrich (treasurer), and Lavinia Arant (secretary). Dissolved in 1986.
Donated 1988 by the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, who received the records when the Foundation dissolved. Additional Foundation correspondence was microfilmed with the Violet Oakley papers on reels 3716-3745.