Sully, Thomas, b. 1783 d. 1872
Painter, Miniature painter
Active in Philadelphia, Pa.
Collection size: 3 items (619 p. on 1 microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Register of paintings, 1801-1871 (1 v., 139 p.); Sully's hints for pictures, 1809-1871 (179 p. typescript), including techniques for painting portraits, ingredients for colors, care and preservation of paintings, criticisms of other artists and explanations of their paintings and techniques; and a journal, 1792-1793 and 1799-1846 (1 v., 301 p. typescript).
Biographical/Historical Note: Portrait painter; Philadelphia, Pa.
Microfilmed 1956 by the Archives of American Art with other art-related papers in the Manuscript Division of the New York Public Library. Included in the microfilming project were selected papers of the Art Division and the Prints Division.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel N18 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- The Archives of American art does not own the original papers. Use is limited to the microfilm copy.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- [Case brief] Society of the Sons of St. George vs. Thomas Sully, 1839 Mar. 11
- Letter to Mrs. Wallace, 1839 May 5
- Private memorandum / Thomas Sully, 1837-1859, (bulk 1837-1839)
- Thomas Sully letters, 1827 and [undated]
- Thomas Sully letters, 1831-1870
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Sully, Thomas