Messer, Thomas M., b. 1920
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 6.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: Thomas Messer's correspondence, diaries and printed material from his career as a museum director and independent curator.
Correspondence and diaries are inclusive of Messer's tenure at the Guggenheim Museum from 1961-1987 and later as an independent curator. Printed material includes exhibition catalogs, bulletins and annual reports from the Institute of Contemporary Art, the Roswell Museum, and the Guggenheim Museum.
Biographical/Historical Note: Thomas Messer was a museum director and independent curator in New York, New York. Messer was director at the Roswell Museum, Roswell, New Mexico, the Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, Massachusetts and at the Solomon R.Guggenheim Museum, New York, New York.
Donated 1995 by Thomas M. Messer and in 2016 by the Thomas Messer estate via Adam Lehner, executor.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Thomas M. Messer, 1970 Sept. 22
- Oral history interview with Thomas M. Messer, 1994 Oct.-1995 Jan
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Messer, Thomas M.