Crawford, Thomas, b. 1813 or 14 d. 1857
Active in Washington, D.C.; New York, N.Y.; Rome, Italy
Collection size: 0.2 linear ft. (on 2 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence, 1845-1856; and typescripts.
REEL D181: Letters from Crawford to his wife, Louisa Cutler Ward Crawford. More than half of the letters were written in Europe, particulary from Rome, where the Crawfords lived, and include much material about Crawford's activities and about the American colony of artists in Italy in the 1850's.
REEL 3023: Typescripts of the letters and a 20 page index to names and places mentioned in the typescripts. The typescripts and index were prepared under the direction of Dr. Robert L. Gale, author of THOMAS CRAWFORD, AMERICAN SCULPTOR (1964).
Biographical/Historical Note: Sculptor; Rome, Italy.
Material on reel D181 was donated 1964 by Crawford's heir, Countess Eleanor Marion - Crawford Rocca through Dr. Robert L. Gale. The typescripts were also received 1964, but later microfilmed on reel 3023 and returned to Gale, Crawford's biographer.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels D181 and 3023 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Thomas Crawford letter to "Greene", [undated]
- Thomas Crawford papers, 1841-1856
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Crawford, Thomas