Clarke, Thomas B. (Thomas Benedict),
New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 2.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: The scrapbooks of Thomas Benedict Clarke measure 2.6 linear feet and date from 1880-1930. Twelve scrapbooks contain mostly newspaper clippings, but also include correspondence, invitations, exhibition catalogs, programs, magazine articles, art auction catalogs, and other material relating to Clarke's personal art collection and general art patronage. The scrapbooks also include clippings and miscellany relating to the Clarke family and influential society clubs, such as the Union League, Lambs, and New York Athletic clubs.
Biographical/Historical Note: Thomas B. Clarke (1848-1931) was a collector from New York, N.Y.
The scrapbooks of Thomas Benedict Clarke were donated by the Whitney Museum of Art director, Lloyd Goodrich, in 1978.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- The collection is available on 35 mm microfilm reels N597-N599 and 1358 at Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan. The order of the material on film does not match the current chronological order of the scrapbooks.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Private art collection of Thomas B. Clarke, 1872-1879
- Thomas B. Clarke letters from or about Homer Dodge Martin, 1893-1897
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Clarke, Thomas B. (Thomas Benedict)
Related MaterialsThe Archives also has the Thomas B. Clarke letters from or about Homer Dodge Martin, 1893-1897, which have been digitized and are available online via the Archives of American Art's website.
Also found in the Archives are Letters to Thomas B. Clarke from artists, 1883-1918 and the handwritten catalog Private art collection of Thomas B. Clarke, 1872-1879, both of which have been microfilmed and are available on reels D5 and 2802.