Clarke, Thomas B. (Thomas Benedict), b. 1848 d. 1931
Active in New York, N.Y.
Martin, Homer Dodge, b. 1836 d. 1897
Active in New York,N.Y.
The letters of Thomas B. (Thomas Benedict) Clarke from or about Homer Dodge Martin in the Archives of American Art were digitized in 2009.The bulk of the papers have been scanned and total 65 images.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art
Collection size: 0.2 linear feet
Collection Summary: Since Martin kept no diaires or sales ledgers himself, the letters are invaluable in understanding his painting, financial struggles, and his physical and mental condition in the last 5 years of his life. Additional letters from Martin's son, Ralph, his wife, Elizabeth, and gallery owner William Macbeth, and a letter from Martin to his friend Montgomery Schuyler, further illuminate Clarke's activities as a dealer and patron of Martin's work, and provide insight into Martin's financial affairs and the increasingly favorable market for the painter's work just prior to and following his death in 1897.
Biographical/Historical Note: Montgomery Schuyler (1843-1914) was an architectural critic and collector from New York, N.Y. There is no known relationship between he and Rev. Dr. Montgomery Schuyler (1814-1896) from St. Louis, Mo.
Letters on reel D9 donated 1957 by Charles Feinberg; reel 3482 Irving Burton 1967.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Private art collection of Thomas B. Clarke, 1872-1879
- Thomas Benedict Clarke scrapbooks, 1880-1936, bulk, 1883-1920
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Clarke, Thomas B. (Thomas Benedict)