Tanager Gallery (New York, N.Y.),
New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 2.6 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The records of contemporary New York City Tanager Gallery measure 2.6 linear feet and date from 1952 to 1979. Found are administrative files, financial and legal records, including detailed receipt books, scattered correspondence, artists' files for circa 70 artists, that include price lists and biographies, two scrapbooks of printed materials, newsclippings, exhibition announcements and other printed materials, and five photographs of openings at the gallery and of the exterior of the building.
Biographical/Historical Note: Tanager Gallery (founded 1952; closed 1962) was an art gallery in New York, N.Y. Operated on E. 10th St., 1952-1962 as a cooperative outlet for a group of New York artists, primarily abstract expressionists. The founding members were Lois Dodd, Charles Cajori, Angelo Ippolito, William King and Fred Mitchell.
Lois Dodd, co-founder of the Tanager Gallery, donated the Tanager Gallery records in several increments between 1972 and 1989.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment. CLOSED FOR PROCESSING
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.