Staempfli Gallery (New York, N.Y.),
est. 1959 - 1988
New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 5.4 linear feet
Collection Summary: The Staempfli Gallery records measure 5.4 linear feet and date from 1958 to 1992. Scattered administrative and financial records, sales invoices, inventory records, and exhibition catalogs document the business activities of this New York gallery.
Biographical/Historical Note: Staempfli Gallery was an art gallery (established 1959 - closed 1988) in New York, N.Y. founded by George Staempfli, and specializing in modern art by European and American artists. During its thirty years of operation the gallery exhibited the work of Salvador Dali, Elmer Bischoff, Joan Brown, David Park, and George Rickey among others.
Exhibition Catalogs were donated in 1989 by Philip Bruno, co-director of Staempfli Gallery. Additional records of the Staempfli Gallery were donated in 2010 by Candida Steel, George Staempfli's daughter and in 2014 by Robert Aichele, a private dealer in Sacramento, California, who purchased the letters from Barbara Staempfli, George Staempfli's widow.