United States. Dept. of the Treasury. Section of Fine Arts
Collection size: 15 items (on partial microfilm reel).
Collection Summary: A brief narrative on the derivation of the Section; a final report, 1934-1943 (31 p.); papers concerning Section competitions, 1934-1943; mural and sculpture contracts for works not installed; report of March 1941; and Section bulletins, catalogs, and guides, 1934-1943.
Biographical/Historical Note: Established 1934 under the Treasury Department as the Section of Painting and Sculpture. Name changed in 1938 to Section of Fine Arts. In 1939, the Federal Works Agency was established and set up the Public Buildings Administration, which combined the Treasury Department's Public Buildings Branch and the Branch of Public Buildings of the National Park Service. The Section's function was to decorate new federal buildings. Unlike the other New Deal art agencies, it was not a relief project, but awarded contracts through a juried system of competition.
Donated 1965 by Maria Ealand, a niece of Section administrator Edward Bruce.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel NDA 18 (frames 619-824) available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.