Sculpture Center (New York, N.Y.)
Collection size: 0.6 linear ft. (partially microfilmed on 1 reel)
Collection Summary: Correspondence, writings, notes, business records, scrapbooks, catalogs, and printed material. REEL 2525: Letters; articles of incorporation; list of board members; a consignment book with prices; book, BLUEPRINT FOR THE FUTURE OF AMERICAN SCULPTURE, by Saul Swarz; blueprints for a planned studio; 101 Sculpture Center, Inc. catalogs; receipts, bills and financial materials; photographs; scrapbooks of Clay Club events; and printed materials. UNMICROFILMED: Letters; writings and notes, including poetry by George McK. Roberts and Gabriel Kohn; invoices, contracts, and price lists; and exhibition catalogs, announcements, and clippings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art society; New York, N.Y. Established 1928 by Dorthea Denslow as the Clay Club. Was located on 8th Street in Manhattan. Incorporated as the Clay Club Sculpture Center in 1944, and changed to the Sculpture Center in 1950.
Donated 1981-1982 by Sculpture Center. Much of this material was gathered by Cleo Hartwig, an active member of the Sculpture Center.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 2525 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.