Schaeffer Galleries (New York, N.Y.),
est. 1925 - 2000
New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 1.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: The Schaeffer Galleries records measure 1.6 linear feet and date from circa 1921 to 1982, with the bulk of the material dating from 1935-1950, when the gallery was most active. Owned by Hanns S. and Kate Schaeffer, the gallery first operated in Berlin from 1925 to 1939 and later in New York City from 1936 to circa 2000.
Biographical/Historical Note: The Schaeffer Galleries (founded 1925; closed 2000) were art galleries in both New York, N.Y. and Berlin, Germany. Owned by Hanns S. and Kate Schaeffer, the Galleries specialized in Old Masters paintings and drawings, originally concentrating on Flemish and Dutch masters. Operated in Berlin, 1925-1939, and New York from 1936 to 2000.
Kate Schaeffer donated the Schaeffer Galleries records to the Archives of American Art in 1982.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Related MaterialsThe Archives of American Art also holds an oral history interview of Kate (Mrs. Hanns) Schaeffer conducted June 18, 1975 by Paul Cummings.
The Getty Research Library holds 100 linear feet of the historical records of Schaeffer Galleries dating from 1925-1985.