Santa Monica Art Gallery,
Collection size: 0.4 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Artists biographical card file each containing a photograph of artists who exhibited in the gallery; gallery correspondence and notes, 1953-1965; and photographs and slides of the 20th annual exhibition, 1967.
Biographical/Historical Note: Est.1947 as a commercial art gallery by librarians at the Santa Monica Library, 5th and Santa Monica Blvd. Exhibited abstract art from 1947 to 1965 when the building was torn down. Exhibited mostly local and amatuer artists, with exceptions like Hans Burkhardt, Wayne Thiebaud, Helen Lundeberg, Stanton Macdanold-Wright, June Wayne, Rico Lebrun, Lorser Feitelson, Francis de Erdely, and Bill Brice.
Donated 1993 by Richard Campbell, an artist who had been second Chairman of the Board of the Santa Monica Art Gallery.