Low, Sanford B. D. (Sanford Ballard Dole), b. 1905 d. 1964
Painter, Museum director, Illustrator, Designer
Active in New Britain, Conn.; Martha's Vineyard, Mass.
Collection size: 0.2 linear ft. (186 items on 1 microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Biographical data; personal and business correspondence, including letters from Thomas Hart Benton, Reginald Marsh, Robert Vose and Robert Vose, Jr. of Vose Galleries of Boston, Inc., and others; writings; exhibition catalogs; printed materials regarding the Sanford Low Memorial Collection of American Illustration; 3 sketches by Low, clippings on Low and the activities of the New Britain Museum of American Art; photographs of Low, of Low with Benton, Thomas Craven and Denys Wortman, and photographs of the installation of a Low retrospective exhibition, 1963.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, illustrator, block printer, decorator, designer, educator, museum director, New Britain, Conn. and Martha's Vineyard, Mass. Born in Honolulu, Hawaii. Was instrumental in organizing and founding the New Britain Museum of American Art, and was its director for a number of years.
The donor, Virginia Low, is the widow of Sanford Low.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 2147 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Sanford B. D. Low printed material, 1930-1964
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Low, Sanford B. D. (Sanford Ballard Dole)