Burckhardt, Rudy, b. 1914 d. 1999
Painter, Photographer, Filmmaker
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 5.0 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of photographer, filmmaker, and painter Rudy Burckhardt measure 5.0 linear feet and date from 1934 to 1990. The bulk of the collection consists of black and white negatives which document over 260 mid-to-late twentieth century modern artists, their work, studios, and/or exhibitions. Notable artists include Willem de Kooning, Dan Flavin, Joseph Cornell, Helen Frankenthaler, Donald Judd, Franz Kline, Roy Lichtenstein, Louise Nevelson, Isamu Noguchi, Frank Stella, and many others. Burckhardt was hired to photograph for a number of New York art galleries such as the Leo Castelli Gallery and Green Gallery; art collectors including Chaim Gross and David Rockefeller; and art magazines such as ARTnews. Personal papers include announcements and an exhibition catalog; clippings; photographs on postcards; and a book, entitled, "Conversations with Rudy Burckhardt About Everything," by Simon Pettet, 1987.
Biographical/Historical Note: Rudy Burckhardt (1914-1999) was a Swiss-American photographer, filmmaker, and painter based in New York, New York, during the post-World War II era.
The first accession of biographical material was donated to the Archives of American Art by Rudy Burckhardt in 1993. A second installment of photographic material was donated by Yvonne Jacquette Burckhardt, Burckhardt's widow, in 2011.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- The donor, Yvonne Jacquette Burckhardt, has retained copyright where applicable to negatives of photographs taken by Burckhardt. AAA has been given a non-exclusive license to reproduce and display.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Rudy Burckhardt, 1993 January 14
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Burckhardt, Rudy