Smithson, Robert, b. 1938 d. 1973
Active in Tx.
Collection size: 21 items (microfilmed on partial reel)
Collection Summary: Photocopies of letters to George Lester, owner of the George Lester Gallery in Rome, Italy. Smithson discusses paintings and other work he is sending to the gallery, art related news and other topics. Two of the letters are illustrated. Enclosures include one unsigned poem, a short biography of Smithson, lists of Smithson's paintings, and photographs taken in a photo booth of Smithson and his wife Nancy Holt.
Biographical/Historical Note: Smithson was a sculptor, painter, New York, N.Y. Born 1938. Died 1973.
Donated 1987 by George Lester.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 5438 (fr. 1233-1397) available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Robert Smithson, 1972 July 14-19
- Robert Smithson and Nancy Holt papers, 1905-1987, bulk 1952-1987
- Robert Smithson interview, 1968
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Smithson, Robert