Sound RecordingInterview with Robert Smithson
Smithson, Robert, b. 1938 d. 1973
Active in Tx.
Robbin, Tony, b. 1943
Active in New York,N.Y.
Collection size: 2 sound cassettes.
Format: Audio quality is poor; one side of each tape is blank.
Collection Summary: An interview of Robert Smithson conducted by Tony Robbin.
Smithson discusses the conceptual theories that he employs in creating his artwork; the relationship between the "site" and the "nonsite" in his work; systems; and maps. Some works are physically described and a list of works and their measurements is read by Smithson.
Biographical/Historical Note: Sculptor, New York, N.Y; Born 1938, Died 1973. Tony Robbin, the interviewer is a writer, painter and sculptor.
Gift of interviewer Tony Robbin, 1992.
How to Use this Collection
- Untranscribed; use requires an appointment.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Robert Smithson, 1972 July 14-19
- Robert Smithson and Nancy Holt papers, 1905-1987, bulk 1952-1987
- Robert Smithson letters to George B. Lester [microfilm], 1960-1963
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Smithson, Robert