Scull, Robert C., b. 1917 d. 1986
Collector, Art patron
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 14 v. (1.6 linear ft.)
Collection Summary: 14 volumes of Pop art collector Robert Scull's appointment books for the years 1955-1956, 1958-1959, 1961-1967, 1969-1970, and 1973. With business dates and quotidian entries are notes regarding visiting artists, including James Rosenquist, Lucas Samaras, Walter De Maria, Mark Di Suvero, and Michael Heizer; and appointments with Leo Castelli, Andre Emmerich, Henry Geldzahler, and Richard Bellamy. Also noted are prices Scull payed for paintings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Scull was a collector of Pop art.
Donated 1999 by Amy Newman, a writer, who received them from her friend, artist Chuck Close. Close received them from his brother-in-law, who found them in the trash, turned them over to Close, who, in turn, gave them to Newman.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Robert Scull, 1972 June 15-28
- Robert Scull papers, [undated] and [ca. 1968-1983]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Scull, Robert C.