Caparn, Rhys, b. 1909 d. 1997
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 1.0 linear ft. (partially microfilmed on 2 reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence, photographs; writings; exhibition catalogs and announcements; and clippings.
REELS 680 & 1007: Correspondence, mostly business and professional letters; writings such as "The Animal in Art" and other jottings on art and form; price lists, statements from galleries and sales memos; catalogs and annoucements; clippings; photographs of Caparn's work, and photos of Caparn in her studio, snapshots and a portrait by Maya Deren, 1948, as well as one by Alan Shayne.
UNMICROFILMED: Correspondence, clippings, exhibition material, receipts, photographs and records relating mainly to the Federation of Modern Painters and Sculptors.
Biographical/Historical Note: Sculptor; Connecticut.
Donated 1972-1983 by Rhys Caparn.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 680 and 1007 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Rhys Caparn, 1983 November 23
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Caparn, Rhys