The Phillips Collection records, 1920-1960

Phillips Collection

Collection size: 42.6 linear feet

Collection Summary: Correspondence files, arranged chronologically and alphabetically; gallery records; operational records; music program files; and exhibition files.

REELS 1929-1994: Correspondence, largely concerning the foundation, operation, and acquisitions of the museum; gallery records; music program files; and exhibition files.

REEL 1890: Correspondence with artist Augustus Vincent Tack.

REEL 1926: Correspondence with artists Arthur Dove and Alfred Stieglitz.

Biographical/Historical Note: The Phillips Collection (estab. 1921) is an art museum in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1921 by collector and art connoisseur, Duncan Phillips, and his wife, Marjorie, upon opening his home to the public. Collection consists primarily of 19th and 20th century European and American art. In 1960 the Goh Annex was added to the original 1897 Georgian Revival house to expand the museums's exhibition space. The Goh annex was renovated in 1989.

Donated 1979 by the Phillips Collection.

How to Use this Collection

  • Microfilm reels 1929-1994 available for use only at Huntington Library, the Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., and through interlibrary loan.
    microfilm reels 1890 and 1926 available at all AAA offices and through interlibrary loan.
  • Authorization to reproduce for the purposes of publication must be obtained from: Karen Schneider, Librarian, the Phillips Collection, 1600 21st Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20009; telephone: 202-387-2151, ext. 212; fax: 202-387-2436.
  • Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
  • For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.

Also in the Archives