Evergood, Philip Howard, b. 1901 d. 1973
Active in New York, N.Y.
12.0 linear feet
1 rolled document
Collection Summary: The papers of painter Philip Evergood measure 12 linear feet and date from 1890 to 1971. Found within the papers are biographical materials; personal and business correspondence; writings, including essays, lectures, speeches, and sound recordings of radio appearances; subject files; personal business records; printed material; scrapbooks; artwork, including oil paintings, sketches, and childhood drawings; and photographs of Evergood, his family and friends, and his work.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter and printmaker Philip Evergood (1901-1973) lived and worked in New York City and Bridgewater, Connecticut and was known as an expressionist and social realist who incorporated elements of the fantastic into his works.
Philip Evergood donated his papers to the Archives in 1971. Additional materials were donated in 1974 by Evergood's wife, Julia Cross Evergood. In 1977, two typescripts of essays were donated by Abram Lerner.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Portions of this collection are available on 35 mm microfilm reels 429-430, 1345-1355, 439, 2162, 2223, 1885, and 2804 at the Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan. Researchers should note that the arrangement of the papers as described in this finding aid does not reflect the order of the collection on microfilm due to reprocessing and not all of the collection is on microfilm. Some of the sound recordings in this collection have been copied for research access and digital copies are available in the Archives of American Art offices.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C. Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Letters from Philip Evergood, 1953-1955
- Oral history interview with Philip Evergood, 1968 Dec. 3
- Philip Evergood interview, 1959 June
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Evergood, Philip Howard
Related MaterialsPhilip Evergood papers are also at Syracuse University.
Also found in the Archives of American Art are Letters from Philip Evergood; Gael Hammer letters relating to Miles and Philip Evergood; an oral history interview with Philip Evergood by Forrest Selvig, December 3, 1968; and Philip Evergood interview with John I.H. Baur, June 1959.