Milton, Peter Winslow, b. 1930
Active in Francestown, N.H.
Collection size: 1.4 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Correspondence files, project files, teaching files, writings, biographical material, inventories, receipts and price lists of prints, and printed material document Milton's printmaking career. Primarily correspondence (1 foot), arranged chronologically, 1963-1977, and alphabetically by gallery or organization, relating mainly to exhibitions and sales of Milton's work, with galleries, museums, art organizations, colleagues, and collectors. Contained in some files are clippings, draft replies, inventories, consignment agreements, receipts, and a few photographs. Alphabetical file titles include Alma Pelis Gallery, Associated American Artists, C. Troup Gallery, Comsky Gallery, FAR Gallery, Fein/Art, Franz Bader Gallery, Graphics Gallery, Imprint Gallery, Kneeland McNulty, Museo La Tertulia, Optik Gallery, Orr's Gallery, Gabor Peterdi, Pickard Art Galleries, Pratt Center for Contemporary Printmaking, Priscilla Hartley Gallery, Print Club, Talisman Prints, and Joan Weinberg. Included in the chronological files are letters, some lengthy, from Peter and Coille Hooven. The McNulty file contains research material for a catalog on Milton's etchings, and includes information on Josef Albers and Gabor Peterdi. Project files, 1969-1974, regard Irving Finkelstein's article about Milton published in "Artists Proof" in 1971, and Milton's commission for the "Jolly Corner Suite" prints to illustrate "Bartelby" by Melville for Aquarius Press. Teaching files, ca. 1962-1965, include syllabi and notes for classes taught by Milton at the Maryland Institute College of Art. Printed material, ca. 1964-1970, includes exhibition announcements and reproductions of Milton's work.
Biographical/Historical Note: Printmaker, educator; New Hampshire. Studied with Josef Albers and Gabor Peterdi at Yale University, where he received a BFA (1954) and an MFA (1962). Taught at the University of Bridgeport (1959-1960), Yale University (1960-1961) and the Maryland Institute College of Art (1961-1968).
Donated 1988 by Peter W. Milton.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.