Rothermel, Peter Frederick, b. 1812 d. 1895
Painter, Art teacher
Active in Pa.,
Collection size: 7 items (on partial microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Letters and printed material.
REEL 1393, fr. 324-339: Rothermel's wedding certificate; several invitations; a letter and engraved notice of condolence to Mrs. Rothermel from the Art Club of Philadelphia; and a printed copy of a speech, "Memoir of P.F. Rothermel," given by Joseph G. Rosengarten to the American Philosophical Society, Philadelphia.
REEL 1393, fr.341-363: A pamphlet, PICTURE OF THE BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG BY PETER F. ROTHERMEL, which includes a description of the battle, the program of speaches given at the Philadelphia unveiling of the battle, and press opinions and letters about the picture.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, art instructor. Born Pennsylvania; active in many Philadelphia art organizations. Best known work "Battle of Gettysburg."
The donor and lender, Peter Rothermel, is the grandson of Peter F. Rothermel.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 1393 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Peter Frederick Rothermel receipt, 1862-1863
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Rothermel, Peter Frederick