Sample, Paul Starrett, b. 1896 d. 1974
Painter, Muralist, Illustrator
Active in Calif.; N.H.
Collection size: 2.8 linear ft. (partially filmed on 4 reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence biographical materials, photographs, sketchbooks, printed materials, exhibition materials, watercolors, price lists, inventories, and writings.
UNMICROFILMED: Correspondence with galleries, other artists, and friends; writings, including speeches and short stories; price lists; inventories of Sample's works; exhibition files containing catalogs, announcements, press releases, and clippings; certificates of award; sketchbooks, sketches, and watercolors; personal photographs; and photographs of works of art.
REEL 1197: Two sketchbooks containing watercolor and pencil sketches of Iceland, undated.
REEL 333-335: Correspondence; exhibition catalogs; writings; biographical data; clippings; and photographs.
Biographical/Historical Note: Illustrator; Norwich, Vermont. Full name is Paul Starrett Sample. Born Louisville, Ky.
Material on reels 1197 and portions of 333-335 lent for microfilming and donated 1971-1977 by Paul Sample. Remainder donated in 1974 by his widow, Sylvia Sample.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 333-335, 1197 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Paul Sample, 1971 October 10
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Sample, Paul Starrett