Jenkins, Paul, b. 1923 d. 2012
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 12.3 linear feet
Collection Summary: Biographical material, correspondence, works of art, writings, subject files, photographs, financial material, and printed material regarding the personal life and professional career of abstract expressionist Paul Jenkins.
Biographical material includes various membership cards and death notices. Correspondence, both personal and professional, is with family, colleagues, art dealers, and art historians. Personal correspondents include Jenkins' wives Esther Ebenhoe and Alice Baber.
Works of art are by various artists, among them, eight oversized watercolor sketches, 1997, by architect Frank Prince of a proposed building to adjoin Jenkin's sculpture park, Mandala Meditation Sundial, at Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y. Writings include manuscripts by Jenkins and others, and travel diaries kept by Jenkins while traveling to China, Russia, and France.
Subject files relate to Lynd Ward's woodcut series "God's Man" and a sculpture by Karl Prantl owned by Jenkins. Photographs are of Jenkins, colleagues, and exhibition installations. Financial material includes bills and bank statements. Printed material includes press releases, newspaper articles, and an exhibition guest book.
Biographical/Historical Note: Paul Jenkins (1923-2012) was an abstract expressionist, painter, and playwright in New York, N.Y.
Donated 2007-2009 and in 2012 by Paul and Suzanne Jenkins. Additions are expected in January 2013.
How to Use this Collection
- Entire (except oversize watercolors) Authorization to quote or reproduce for the purposes of publication requires written permission from Suzanne or Paul Jenkins, c/o Imago Terrae, P.O. Box 286833, Yorkville Station, New York, N.Y. 10128
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information. Letter from Paul Jenkins to Norman Bluhm, circa 1966 ACCESS RESTRICTED; use requires written permission.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Paul Jenkins, 1968
- Paul Jenkins interview, 1969 Aug
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Jenkins, Paul