Aschenbach, Paul, b. 1921 d. 1994
Active in Vt.
Collection size: 2.1 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Correspondence, notes and writings, project files, printed material, photographs, and art work primarily concerning Aschenbach's involvement with the Vermont International Sculpture Symposia (1968, 1971), and other projects he participated in, most relating to sculpture and its role in the community.
Included are biographical material; correspondence, 1965-1975, primarily related to Aschenbach's coordination of the Vermont International Sculpture Symposia of 1968 and 1971, the Sculpture on the Highway project, ca. 1971, and to his association with the Vermont Marble Company. Correspondence with artists participating in the Symposia include Karl Prantl, Jasuo Mizui, Herbert Baumann, Erich Reischke, Barna von Sartory, Philip Pavia, Kenneth Campbell, Clement Meadmore, Isaac Witkin, Eduardo Ramirez, James Silva, and Rudolf Uher. Notes and writings include unmailed letters to Aschenbach, ca. 1973-1974, written by his wife, June.
Project files, 1968-1975, contain correspondence, notes and writings, printed material, invoices, receipts, mailing lists, reference material, biographical material on participating artists, and photographs for the Vermont International Sculpture Symposia, Danby Sculpture Works, Inc., Danby-Currier Memorial Sculpture Project and other sculpture projects. Printed material, 1957-1978, includes newspaper and magazine clippings, exhibition announcements and catalogs, newsletters, and annual reports.
Photographs consist of Aschenbach at work, his finished sculptures, and a few personal photographs. Works of art include a variety of Aschenbach's studies and sketches for sculptures, executed in watercolor, pencil, felt pen, woodblock and chalk, and an unbound booklet of anonymous wood engravings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Sculptor; Vermont. b. 1921; d. 1994. Organized the Vermont International Sculpture Symposium in 1968 and 1971, which supported stone sculpture by several sculptors for installation in rest areas along the Vermont Interstate Highways 89 and 91.
Donated 1983 by Paul Aschenbach.