Reinhardt, Ad, b. 1913 d. 1967
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 1 painting: oil on canvas ; 122 x 77 cm. (48 x 30 inches)
Format: Painting is in a black matte wooden frame. Cardboard is stapled to verso. It is inscribed in Reinhardt's handwriting: "Painting, 1955" 48 x 30 Reinhardt 732 Broadway NYC 3 / NYB555. Also in white chalk, not in Reinhardt's hand: 17 Nov '77 Dayton.
Collection Summary: Black cruciform painting.
Donated 1979 by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Clyde Colt, Jr.. Thomas Clyde Colt is the former Director of the Dayton Art Institute. He donated the painting to the Archives for study purposes, as the painting was damaged before going up for auction in 1977.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Ad Reinhardt lecture, 1966 Jan
- Ad Reinhardt letters and art work, 1946-1957
- Ad Reinhardt papers, 1927-1968
- Oral history interview with Ad Reinhardt, circa 1964
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Reinhardt, Ad