Dows, Olin, b. 1904 d. 1981
Arts administrator, Author, Engraver, Lithographer
Active in Washington, D.C.
Collection size: 0.2 linear feet
Collection Summary: This small collection of letters to and from painter and arts administrator Olin Dows measures 0.2 linear feet and dates from 1938 to 1949. The letters primarily document his work as director of the Treasury Relief Art Project, as an admistrator for the American Federation of Arts, and his work as a war artist. Much of the correspondence is with arts administrators Edward Bruce and Forbes Watson.
Biographical/Historical Note: Olin Dows (1904-1981) was a sculptor, painter, printmaker, writer, lecturer, and the director of Treasury Relief Art Project from Rhinebeck, N.Y.
Letters were donated in 1962 by Olin Dows; the provenance of one letter (on microfilm reel 2803) is unknown.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- The collection is available on 35 mm microfilm reels NDA 14 and 2803 at Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Olin Dows, 1963 October 31
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Dows, Olin