Newman Galleries (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Collection size: 14 items (microfilmed on partial reel).
Collection Summary: Photographs of Adolph, George, Walter Andrew and Walter B. Newman, and of interior and exterior views of Newman Galleries at its Philadelphia locations on 806 Market Street, 1732 Chestnut Street, and 1625 Walnut Street, an article on Newman Galleries in ART IN FOCUS SUPPLEMENT, 1965, and the obituaries of Adolph and George Newman.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art gallery. Est.1865 by George and Adolph Newman at 806 Market Street. Gallery was forced to move in 1893, and the brothers dissolved the partnership; George opened a gallery at 1622 Chestnut Street and Adolph opened the Adolph Newman and Son Gallery at 704 Chestnut Street with his son Walter. Adolph and Walter B. Newman were forced to move again in 1918 to 1732 Chestnut Street. In 1920 Adolph retired and left the gallery to his son and to his grandson Walter Andrew Newman. The depression necessitated the move in 1935 to a location at 1625 Walnut Street, and in the 1960s a frame and repair shop was added to the business at 2306 South Street.
Donated by Walter A. Newman, Jr., 1985.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 4076 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.