Mississippi Art Colony
Collection size: 1.0 linear ft. (on 1 microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Scrapbooks, an administrative file, and printed material. Scrapbooks, 1958-1987, contain newspaper clippings, many focusing on the art work of colony members, especially Halcyone D. Barnes, Bess Dawson, Marie Hull and Ruth Atkinson Holmes, photographs of the faculty and students, including one of Fred Mitchell, letters, including one from Ida Kohlmeyer to Bill Broome, Colony President, 1974, and exhibition checklists. A file, 1963-1992, contains brochures, registration lists, board meeting minutes, and newsletters from Spring and Fall workshops. School catalogs, 1954-1964, provide historical information and biographical sketches of faculty members George Beattie, Peter Baruzzi, Andrew Bucci, Fred Conway, Lamar Dodd, Edward S. Faiers, Bob Gelinas, Ralph M. Hudson, Alvin Sella, Pat Trivigno, Karl Wolfe, Karl Zerbe and Richard Zoellner. Also found are magazine articles, 1980, 1988, and a book, Allison's Wells, The Last Mississippi Spa, by Hosford Latimer Fontaine (1981), containing many illustrations by Colony members (only title p. and illustrations were microfilmed).
Biographical/Historical Note: Art colony; Utica, Miss. Founded 1948. Originally named Allison Wells Art Colony and located in Allison's Wells, Miss. Moved to Stafford Springs, Miss., 1963 and renamed the Mississippi Art Colony. Moved to Laurel, Miss. in 1970 and to Camp Henry Jacobs in Utica, Miss. in 1973.
Lent for microfilming 1992 by Lallah Perry, member and archivist of the colony.