Federal Art Project (Wis.),
est. 1935 - 1943
1 item (on partial microfilm reel).
Unmicrofilmed portion: 59 items.
Collection Summary: Block-printed portfolio and textiles.
Microfilmed portion: One decorative, block-printed portfolio, approximately 11" x 13.5" with a seal "W.P.A. Handicraft Project No. 1170".
Unmicrofilmed portion: A collection of portfolios containing 59 block-printed textiles done for the handicraft project.
Biographical/Historical Note: Howard Thomas was the director of the Milwaukee WPA Handicraft Project. The Milwaukee WPA Handicraft Project was one of the more unusual and diverse of the handicraft projects. Its "Project 1170" was a program especially created for women interested in becoming self-supporting. The Milwaukee County and the Milwaukee State Teachers College were partial sponsors of the project.
Unmicrofilmed material donated 1964 by Howard Thomas; material on reel 3482 donated 1966 by Harold Wescott.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilmed portion microfilm reel 3482 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Wisconsin Federal Art Project records, 1935-1945
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Federal Art Project (Wis.)