Church, Michael P., b. 1908
Active in Mich.
Collection size: 0.6 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Biographical material, letters (1942-1984), notes, writings, a television script, a subject file on the Wingspread Conference on the Arts, printed material and photographs documenting the activities of a Midwestern educator and arts administrator. Correspondents include Michigan artists and other colleagues. Notes contain resumes sent to Church and minutes of meetings on adult and extension education (1964-1965). Among the writings are typescripts of "The Role of the University of Wisconsin in the Development of State-Wide Cultural Arts" by Ronald C. Gee, "Cultural Activities Programs" and "Criteria in Criticism of Contemporary Art" (1959) by Lester D. Longman and a script for the television program THE OPEN MIND: "The State of Culture in the United States Today" (1962). The participants were Eric F. Goldman (moderator), August Heckscher, Walter Kerr, Alfred A. Knopf, and David Susskind. A 1962 subject file concerning the Wingspread Conference on the Arts contains a brochure and a typescript of "The American Artist" by Peter Yates. Among the printed material are clippings (1953-1984), 15 exhibition announcements and catalogs (1960-1980), 3 press releases (1965-1976), newsletters (1956-1974), primarily from the University of Michigan Extension Service and 3 booklets (1955-1968). Nine photographs (1934-1973) show Church, Joe Back (1973), Glenn R. Bradshaw, Zubel Kachadoorian (1964), James Lee, Edward Levitt and Edgar Yaeger, Phil Sawyer working on a CWA project at the Textile High School (1934), an unidentified mural, and a slide of Rupert Conrad.
Biographical/Historical Note: A native of Michigan, Michael P. Church studied at Wicker Art School, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Wayne State University, the University of Michigan, and in the studios of Ralston Crawford, Philip Guston, and Nicholas Marcicano. For over 30 years he was the Director of Cultural Activities for the Extension Service of the University of Michigan where he also served on the faculty in the College of Architecture and Design. He also served on the staff of the National Music Camp, Interlochen, Michigan, and was on the Board of the Michigan Council for the Arts under four governors.
Donated 1976-1981 by Michael P. Church.