Parrish, Maxfield, b. 1870 d. 1966
Active in Philadelphia, Pa.; Cornish, N.H.; Windsor, Vt.
Collection size: 43 items
Collection Summary: Reel D9: Three letters to Alexander Wilson Drake, 1906-1909; 33 to Francis Welch Crowninshield, 1910-1913, mostly regarding business affairs pertaining to his illustrations; and to E.P. Dutton Company. Also one letter from the Century Company to Parrish, January 27, 1913; clippings, and reproductions.
Reel 4391: Four letters from Parrish to Mr. Coates discuss Parrish's work and Mr. Coates' purchase of CIRCE and his desire for a companion piece (1909-1912).
Reel 3483: A letter to Lanier from Maxfield Parrish, regretting he will be unable to make a sketch for the "Juvenile Catalogue" since "your house is rushing me without mercy on the magazine 'Prospectus' and this and other work will keep me very busy..."
Not microfilmed: An undated scrapbook containing reproductions of Parrish's works of art, printed material, and a poster.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter and illustrator; Cornish, New Hampshire. The son of painter Stephen Parrish, Maxfield attended Haverford College (1888-1891) and the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (1892-1894). He also studied under Howard Pyle at Drexel Institute. Parrish had a studio in Philadelphia until 1898, when he moved to "The Oaks" in Cornish, New Hampshire, where he produced illustrations for magazines and books and later worked on landscape murals.
Letters on reel D9 donated by Charles Feinberg, 1955-1962. Letter on reel 3483 donated by Mrs. Thomas Coates, 1977. Letters on reel 4391 donated 1975 by Mrs. George Feeney. The donor of the scrapbook is unknown.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels D9 (fr. 778-824), 3483 and 4391 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Maxfield Parrish papers (microfilm) in the Haverford College Library, [circa. 1888]-1986
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Parrish, Maxfield