Morgan, Maud Cabot, b. 1903 d. 1999
Painter, Art teacher, Collagist
Active in New York, N.Y.; Boston, Mass.
Collection size: 0.8 linear ft. (partially microfilmed on 1 reel)
Collection Summary: Letters, scrapbooks, video recording, and printed material document the career of painter Maud Cabot Morgan.
Two letters, 1982 (photocopies) concern Morgan's honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from the Massachusetts College of Art. Photographs (made from slides) include one of Morgan with Sarah Wainwright in front of Morgan's "Winter Narrative," ca. 1970 and thirteen snapshots of Morgan standing in different poses in front of one of her artworks, ca. 1973, photographer(s) unknown. The Video (VHS) includes footage for 1986 Museum Schoo Show; 90 in the Ninties, and an interview conducted by Gail Harris; and printed material including 24 clippings (mostly photocopies) and 9 exhibition announcements and catalogs, 1974-1983.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, Massachusetts. b. 1903. d 1999. Maud Cabot Morgan attended Barnard College (1926), the Sorbonne in Paris (1925-1929), and the Columbia Architecture School. She travelled throughout Europe and the Far East. In 1926 Morgan began painting in Paris. In New York, she studied at the Art Students League with Kimon Nikolaides and Hans Hofmann. Between 1931 and 1932, she lived in Munich, Germany, moving to Murray Bay, Canada, in 1932. From 1940-1948, she was a teacher at the Abbot Academy, Andover, Massachusetts. Between 1938 and 1982, Morgan exhibited her work at the Julian Levy Gallery, Betty Parsons Gallery, and the Margaret Brown Gallery, among others.
Material on reel 777 lent for microfilming 1974; remainder donated 1985 by Morgan.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 777 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Maud Cabot Morgan, 1974 Mar. 21-Nov. 18
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Morgan, Maud Cabot