Scherr, Mary Ann, b. 1931 d. 2016
Educator, Designer, Jeweler, Goldsmith
Active in Raleigh, N.C.
Collection size: 4.0 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of jeweler and designer Mary Ann Scherr measure 2.0 linear feet and date from 1941 to 2007, with the bulk of the material from 1960 to 2000. Scherr's career is documented through scattered biographical material; correspondence with museums, universities, professional entities, and colleagues; writings by her as well as professional and student writings about her; business records documenting projects and connections with institutions and organizations; news clippings, promotional ephemera, catalogs, posters, and other printed materials; and photographs of Scherr and of her artwork.
Biographical/Historical Note: Mary Ann Scherr (1921-2016) was a jeweler and designer living in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The collection was donated by Mary Ann Scherr in 2001, 2005, and 2008 under the Nanette L. Laitman Documentation Project for Craft and Decorative Arts in America. Additional material donated 2016 by Scott Scherr, Mary Ann Scherr's son.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C. Research Center. Use of video recording requires advance notice.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Mary Ann Scherr, 2001 April 6-7
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Scherr, Mary Ann