Heade, Martin Johnson, b. 1819 d. 1904
Painter, Landscape painter, Portrait painter
Active in New York, N.Y.
The papers of Martin Johnson Heade in the Archives of American Art were digitized in 2007. The papers have been scanned in their entirety, and total 214 images.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
Collection size: 0.3 linear feet
Collection Summary: The bulk of the collection consists of letters from Johnson's friend and fellow artist, Frederic Edwin Church between 1866-1899. Within the papers is an annotated sketchbook, circa 1853-1877, and a detailed handwritten notebook about hummingbirds dating from circa 1864 and circa 1881. Also found are a few letters and notes from others, deeds, and an 1865 exhibition catalog.
Biographical/Historical Note: Martin Johnson Heade (1819-1904) was a landscape, portrait, and still life painter. Worked on the East coast and in the Mid-West. Visited Central and South America. Also naturalist and poet. Best known for painting tropical birds and flowers.
Donated 1955 by Robert McIntyre, who collected the material for his book on Heade.
The collection was fully digitized in 2007 as part of the Terra Foundation for American Art Digitization Grant.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
- The collection has been digitized and is available online via AAA's website.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Martin Johnson Heade collection, [undated] and 1864
- Martin Johnson Heade letter to Frederic Edwin Church, 1868
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Heade, Martin Johnson
Related MaterialsRelated material found in the Archives includes a Martin Johnson Heade letter to Frederic Edwin Church, 1868.
The microfilm of a loan of Martin Johnson Heade papers housed at the Bucks County Historical Society containing biographical material about Heade is available on reel 4408. Originals are located at Bucks County Historical Society.