Greenwood, Marion, b. 1909 d. 1970
Painter, Mosaicist, Lithographer, Portrait painter
Active in New York, N.Y.; Woodstock, N.Y.
Collection size: 0.4 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of Marion Greenwood (1909-1970), an American social realist painter and muralist who worked in both the United States and Mexico, measure 0.4 linear feet and date from circa 1933 to circa 1960. The collection documents Greenwood's artistic career, and is comprised of photographs, biographical materials, and printed materials.
Biographical materials include a resume from which is taken details of Greenwood's life, education, exhibition, awards, and professional experiences.
Printed materials include exhibition announcements and catalogs; clippings of Greenwood's art in commercial publications, a profile of Greenwood written for "American Artist" magazine, and other miscellaneous material.
Photographs in the collection include black and white originals, negatives, copies, and snapshots, primarily documenting Marion Greenwood's work as a muralist and painter. Also present are photographs of the artist, including photographs with Mexican Muralist Diego Rivera, who inspired Greenwood to paint murals in his style; sculptor and designer Isamu Noguchi; friends; and family.
Biographical/Historical Note: Marion Greenwood (1909-1970) was an American social realist painter and muralist who worked in both the United States and Mexico.
The collection was donated by Marion Greenwood in 1964, and at an earlier, unknown date.
How to Use this Collection
- Portions of the collection are available on 35 mm microfilm reel 85 at the Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan. Researchers should note that the arrangement of the papers as described in this finding aid does not reflect the order of the collection on microfilm.
- Microfilmed portion must be consulted on microfilm. Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C. Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Marion Greenwood, 1964 Jan. 31
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Greenwood, Marion