Ward, Lynd Kendall, b. 1905 d. 1985
Painter, Author, Printmaker, Illustrator
Active in N.J.
Collection size: 1.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: Letters, notes, business records, art works, printed material, and photographs relating to Ward's involvement in the American Artists' Congress (1936-1945), the Artists League of America (1934-1949), the Independent Citizens Committee for the Arts, Sciences, and Professions (1944-1948), the Limited Editions Club competition (1932-1957), and the Society of American Graphic Artists (1940-1964). Artists represented in the files include Grace Albee, John Taylor Arms, Fritz Eichenberg, Antonio Frasconi, Jacob Kainen, Clare Leighton, Prentiss Taylor, Max Weber, Stow Wengenroth, Art Young, Adja Yunkers, William Zorach.
Biographical/Historical Note: Lynd Ward (1905-1985) was a printmaker, illustrator, and writer in Cresskill, New Jersey. Illustrated over 100 books. President, Society of American Graphic Artists, 1953-1959.
Donated 1972-1973 by Lynd Ward.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 141 and 4466-4468 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Lynd Ward and May McNeer papers, 1929-1981
- Lynd Ward bookplates, [undated]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Ward, Lynd Kendall