Lucioni, Luigi, b. 1900 d. 1988
Active in New York, N.Y.; Union City, N.J.
Collection size: 3.4 linear feet
Collection Summary: Biographical material, correspondence, writings, photographs, writings, printed material, and artifacts a relating to painter Luigi Lucioni.
Biographical material includes passports and medical records and the Golden Legion award. Correspondence is with friends, family, admirers, museums, and associates including opera singer Giovanni Martinelli, Nancy McClelland, Susan Delano McKelvey, Mabel McAfee, Graeme K. Howard, Electra Webb, and P.H.B. Frelinghuysen and Aurora Lucioni, Luigi's sister. Photographs are of Lucioni as a child and in his studio, his artwork and events. Writings and notes are by Lucioni and friends and also includes a guest book.
Printed material includes publicity materials concerning Lucioni's solo exhibitions, opera playbills, newspaper and magazine clippings, holiday card designs and auction and exhibition catalogs. Artifacts include two decks of playing cards and a puzzle all featuring Lucioni's artwork, and a lock of hair from the family dog.
Biographical/Historical Note: Luigi Lucioni (1900-1988) was a painter in Vt. and N.Y. Lucioni was a realist painter best known for his landscapes of Vermont and portraits of opera singers.
A majority of the collection donated in 2008 and 2011 by Sharron Kropa, a friend of Lucioni. Also 17 items donated in 1972 by Lucioni. Biographical material and some correspondence compiled by Ida Galvanoi, a family friend.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 3134 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Luigi Lucioni, 1971 July 6
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Lucioni, Luigi