Collection size: 31.0 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The papers document the two principal aspects of the professional life of Pomerantz: the treatment of individual works of art, usually paintings, for either institutions or individuals; and professional matters such as his training, experiments, writings on technical matters, lectures, teaching, the continued development of his expertise, and his involvement in professional organizations.
Included are client files containing letters, condition reports, bills, photographs, reports of examinations of damaged paintings, agreements and clippings; professional files containing printed forms, class handouts, articles, handwritten lists, notes with sketches, correspondence, manuscripts of talks, and lecture flash cards; slides and photographs used to document progress on restoration projects, to illustrate conservation techniques, and to illustrate lectures; audio tapes of lectures on conservation techniques, health hazards, legal questions, and other related materials.
Also included are personal papers, including clippings relating to his resignation from the Art Institute of Chicago, and a student notebook, 1950-1951, kept while studying at the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam. His files reflect his work for the Art Institute of Chicago, the Chicago Board of Trade, the Field Museum, the Johnson Foundation, Kraushaar Art Gallery, the Milwaukee Art Museum, Norton Simon, and the University Club, Chicago, and subjects including color field paintings, the cleaning of the Motherwell mural at the University of Iowa, fakes and forgeries, and other issues.
Biographical/Historical Note: Conservator; Chicago, Ill. Born 1919, died 1988. Originally intended to be an artist and enrolled at the Art Students League. After serving in WWII, he returned to Europe to study conservation in Paris, the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam, and the Courtauld Institute. Est. and operated conservation lab at the Art Institute of Chicago, 1956-1961, followed by private practice, organizing conservation training programs, establishing the American Institute of Conservators, and writing.
Donated 1988 by Mrs. Else Pomerantz.