Eilshemius, Louis M. (Louis Michel), b. 1864 d. 1941
Painter, Author, Draftsman (artist)
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 30 items (partially microfilmed on 3 partial reels)
Collection Summary: Published poems, memoir, brochures, announcements and a musical score by Eilshemius; exhibition catalogs; and clippings.
REEL 2803 (fr. 1091-1143, 1153-1160): A booklet containing "Satires on Art" and reproductions of two paintings for sale at 118 E. 57th St (1931); an announcement for "Companionship - an unusual metrical work"; an announcement for "over 4,000 oils, 1500 drawings of scenes in 20 countries. A real educative output non pareill"; an announcement "You Make Money by Making Your Own Picture Frames"; a musical score, "Six Musical Moods," 1897, composed and autographed by Eilshemius; and a brochure, "Some New Discoveries in Science and Art," 1932, containing writings and biographical information.
REEL 4283:Published poems: "Mystery and Truth : A Sonnet-Sequence (c1907),"Thoughts at Night-time" (c1909); "Creation's End - a Four Page Epic" (c1925); all published under his Dreamer's Press' and Three Arts' Friend - A Monthly, v. 1, no. 2 (Nov. 1925)
UNMICROFILMED: Three Arts' Friend (v. 1, no. 3 (Feb. 1926); and "My Brother Victor - A Convalescent's Fancy" (c1912) described on the title page as "[a] memorie was written at Paris, France, in the author's twenty-third year; while studying Art at Julian's."
REEL N70-48: Clippings, 1932-1941; exhibition catalogs from the Boyer and Kleemann Galleries; and pamphlets.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, mathematician, composer, writer; New York, N.Y.
Material on reel N70-48 lent for microfilming 1970 by an unknown lender. Nine brochures on reels 2803 (fr. 1091-1114) and 4283 (fr. 570-622) were transferred from the National Museum of American Art Library, 1981 and 1988. Brochure, "Some New.." on reel 2803 (fr.1153-60) was donated by Hugh Stix, wonder of Artist' Gallery and author of an exhibition catalog on Eilshemius. Provenance of the musical score is unknown.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels N70-48, 2803 and 4283 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Patrons must use microfilm copy; contact AAA reference staff for access to unmicrofilmed publications.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Louis M. Eilshemius and family account books, 1886-1904
- Louis M. Eilshemius holograph manuscript and drawing, [ca. 1930s]
- Louis M. Eilshemius letter to Mr. W. J. F., 1935 Mar. 17
- Louis M. Eilshemius letters and photograph, [ca. 1892-1931]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Eilshemius, Louis M. (Louis Michel)