Feitelson, Lorser, b. 1898 d. 1978
Active in Calif.
Lundeberg, Helen, b. 1908 d. 1999
Active in Los Angeles,Calif.
Collection size: 15.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: This collection documents the life and career of artists Lorser Feitelson and Helen Lundeberg, including their establishment of the Post-surrealism movement in southern California, their work for federal arts programs, and their later abstract artwork. Found are biographical materials, correspondence, personal business records, exhibition files, printed materials, and photographs. There is one circa 1957 reel-to-reel audio recording of an episode of Feitelson on Art.
Biographical/Historical Note: Lorser Feitelson (1998-1978) and Helen Lundeberg (1908-1999) were painters in Los Angeles, Calif. and husband and wife. Feitelson, was also a graphic artist and teacher, and director of the WPA in California.
Scrapbook on reel LA 1 was lent for microfilming 1964 by Lorser Feitelson, material on reels 1103-1104 & 3990 donated 1973 and 1977 by Feitelson and Helen Lundeberg. Circa 26 feet of additional material, mostly of Lundeberg's, was donated by the Lorser Feitelson and Helen Lundeberg Arts Foundation in 1999 and 2002. Additional material donated 2014 by Lorrie Madden, a student of Feitelson's.
All accessions prior to 2014 were merged and fully processed in 2007 with funding provided by the Getty Foundation.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Microfilm reels LA 1, 1103-1104 and 3990 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Lorser Feitelson and Helen Lundeberg, 1965 Mar. 17
- Oral history interview with Lorser Feitelson, 1964 May 12-1964 June 9
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Feitelson, Lorser
Related MaterialsIn 1964, Feitelson loaned for microfilming a scrapbook of clippings primarily concerning his activities with the Federal Works Progress Administration. The scrapbook was microfilmed on microfilm reel LA1 and returned to Feitelson.
Also found in the Archives of American Art are oral history interviews with Lorser Feitelson conducted by Betty Lochrie Hoag, May 12, 1964, with Lorser Feitelson and Helen Lundeberg conducted by Betty Lochrie Hoag, March 17, 1965, and with Helen Lundeberg conducted by Jan Butterfield, July 19 and August 29, 1980, and the Lorser Feitelson lectures.