Goodrich, Lloyd, b. 1897 d. 1987
Arts administrator, Author
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 35.7 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of art historian, writer, and museum administrator Lloyd Goodrich measure 35.7 linear feet and date from 1884 to 1987 with the bulk of the material dating from 1927 to 1987. Materials include biographical material, extensive correspondence, writings and research files, organization and committee files, exhibition files, printed material, a scrapbook, and photographic material. The collection is particularly rich in research files on Winslow Homer, Thomas Eakins, Albert Pinkham Ryder, and Reginald Marsh, as well as correspondence with additional notable artists and art figures.
Biographical/Historical Note: Lloyd Goodrich (1897-1987) was a prominent and influential art historian, writer, and director of the Whitney Museum of Art in New York City, New York, from 1958-1968.
The Lloyd Goodrich papers were donated by Lloyd Goodrich in 1983, in several installments by his son David Goodrich from 1988 to 2007, by the Whitney Museum of American Art in 1996, and by Polly Thistlethwaite in 2015.
Smithsonian Institution Collections Care and Preservation Fund
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- A photocopy of the manuscript "Albert Pinkham Ryder: The Man and His Art," Goodrich's contribution to the book "Albert Pinkham Ryder: Painter of Dreams" co-authored with William I. Homer is available on microfilm reel 4468 and for interlibrary loan.
- Reel 4468: Authorization to publish, quote or reproduce must be obtained from: University of Delaware, Library and Special Collections Department, Newark, Delaware 19717.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Lloyd Goodrich, 1962-1963
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Goodrich, Lloyd
Related MaterialsAlso found in the Archives of American Art is an oral history interview with Lloyd Goodrich, 1962-1963 by Harlan Phillips for the Archives of American Art.
Additional Lloyd Goodrich papers are located at the Whitney Museum of American Art Archives, the University of Delaware, Library and Special Collections Department, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives.