Caja, Jerome D., b. 1958 d. 1995
Active in San Francisco, Calif.
Collection size: 7 items.
Collection Summary: Four letters and two postcards written to van der Meulen, Caja's closest friend and executor, during the final years of his life. Also included are Caja's handwritten "House Rules," coined by Caja for visitors coming into his studio/home.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, sculptor; San Francisco, Calif. Caja grew up in Ohio, and studied at the Cuyahoga Community College and Cleveland State University before enrolling at the San Francisco Art Institute. His art was an expression of his involvement in the flamboyant San Francisco drag queen community, using raw materials such as eyeliner, lipstick and nail polish.
Donated 1999 by Anna van der Meulen, friend and executor of Caja's estate.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Jerome Caja papers, 1960-1995
- Oral history interview with Jerome Caja, 1995 August 23 and September 29
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Caja, Jerome D.