Kupferman, Lawrence Edward,
Newton Centre, Mass.
Collection size: 0.2 linear ft. (partially microfilmed on 7 reels)
Collection Summary: Typescripts of 2 incomplete novels; exhibition material; photographs and slides; and a career outline.
REEL D320: Typescripts of two incomplete novels written ca. 1949. The first, BEGGAR'S BREAD, 449 pp., is set in Boston during the Depression, and concerns the efforts of the protangonist, an artist, to survive the period, in part through a connection with the Federal Art Project, which is described in detail. Living artists and situations represented in the novel are identified on frames 1 and 2 . These include Jack Levine and his studio, Hyman Bloom, Karl Knaths, and Joan Marshall. The second novel, FLIGHT, consists of three chapters only.
REELS 155-161: Exhibition material, 1941-1971, including 20 notebooks recording information on the prices, buyers, medium and subject matter of specific works, sketches, poetry and occasional correspondence; one notebook containing lists of Kupferman's exhibits, announcements and catalogs; one notebook listing sales of graphics; exhibition catalogs, announcements, photographs and clippings.
UNMICROFILMED: 40 photographs of Kupferman, his wife, friends and his paintings; 90 slides of his paintings; and a career outline.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, etcher, writer; Newton Centre, Massachusetts. Died in 1982.
Material on reels D320 & 155-161 lent for microfilming 1968-1971 by Lawrence Kupferman; he donated unmicrofilmed material June 1971.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels D320 & 155-161 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Lawrence Kupferman, 1965 Nov. 12
- Oral history interview with Lawrence Kupferman, 1971 June 10
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Kupferman, Lawrence Edward